"I Love You, But I Love Me More" Self-Care Tips
Updated: Oct 13, 2019
Every once in a while we reach a point where we realize we've been neglecting ourselves in the midst of chasing other non-important things. When we finally come back to reality, it's important to remember to take care of ourselves. Here are a few self-care tips to bettering yourself any day!
1. Makeup- Natural tones are perfect for the day and darker tones are perfect for the evening. Whichever is your makeup preference, just be sure that your foundation at least matches!
2. Smile B*tch!- Even if you're not too happy, try to smile. No one is saying you have to show all your teeth and be weirdo-like, just put forth a little effort. Resting bitch face and frowning all day will only get you but so far. Smiling can trick your body (and other people) into a better mood. Besides... frowning gives you wrinkles! Dead-ass!
3. Nightly Skin-Care- Remove all makeup before bed and perform your preferred nightly skincare regimen. Using aloe vera gels and collagen serums are best when applied before bed.
4. Brows-Let your eyebrows grow, for the love of God. Castor oil and pure aloe vera make your eyebrows and lashes grow thick and long, and ABH Brow Whiz is the shit for long lasting, natural looking brows. Seriously worth every penny.
5. Skin- Be sure to know your actual skin type and look up ingredients in products that help your specific skin type. For example, skin products with salicylic acid help normal/oily skin, while glycolic acid helps dryer, aged skin.
6. Revive- Eat fresh fruit and stay away from processed sweets for a healthy, fresh smelling/tasting private area, hydrated-glowing skin and more.
7. Grooming- Roll non scented deodorant, rice water or aloe-vera gel onto your pum-pum after you shave to avoid any razor bumps or ingrown hairs (DO NOT PUT NEAR YOUR ACTUAL VULVA, JUST THE OUTSIDE PORTION), or just opt to get waxed. Waxing lasts much longer and stubble isn't an issue as much.
8. Hydrate- Drink water with every meal, and between each meal. Hydration does wonders for your entire body.
9. Education- Keep your grades and GPA up and try to read inspiring self-help books in your spare time. Your education is something only YOU can maintain and will become a valuable asset to your identity.
10. Language- Try to use fewer cuss words. At the end of the day, using foul language isn't adding to your image in any good way. Learning new words to expand your vocabulary is always a good idea.
11. Outfits- Dressing in neutrals like nudes, whites, muaves, pinks, blacks, and greys generally make your outfit choices easier to mix and match. Plus you’ll look like a f*ckin' baddie. See my favorite places to shop!
12. Skin- Be sure to find your actual skin type, and look up ingredients in products that help according to your skin type. For example, skin products with salicylic acid help normal/oily skin, while glycolic acid helps dryer, aged skin.
13. Get Flawless- Products and moisturizers with urea and ammonium lactate can help clear your keratosis pilaris (KP, the little bumps on your arms/legs/ass/cleavage)
14. Exercise- Exercise regularly, and change up your workouts every couple of months to keep your body challenged
15. Treat yourself- Have lunch and dinner dates with your friends at nice places. Take yourself to the spa. Learn to make a social life outside of your romantic relationships and night clubs. Groupon has great deals for things like that!
16. Be Prepared- Always keep an extra change of clothes in your car, in case of an accident, dress code violation, or fashion emergency
17. Income- Get a job, and make your own money so you don’t have to be financially dependent on someone else's time and coin. No one likes a leech.
18. Nails- Keep your cuticles moisturized for stronger, healthier nails (especially when wearing acrylics). Check out the SNS nail dip technique at participating nail salons for a healthier alternative to acrylics.
19. Second Hustle- Need a new purpose and second stream of income? Start a business! You can easily use your online presence to back up your new hustle. Creating an online business is easier than ever and available to anyone with internet access and a little effort. Build your own brand to begin your journey to earning a 2nd source of income.
20. Save Your Coins- Establish a solid savings account. Never get caught without fallback funds. Contribute to your savings or your favorite investments as much as possible.
21. Sleep- Get yourself on a proper sleep schedule. Its easier to grind when you’re well rested.
22. Hair- Everyone's hair type is different. Whichever hairstyle you choose... OWN IT! I personally love wearing braids and there isn't a soul who could convince me that I don't slay in my braids!
23. Never get wasted in public- Don't be THAT girl! Maintain your class and poise at all times and nurse your drink if you have to! Never be afraid to turn down a drink from a suitor or opt-out of the tequila shots with friends! Don't try to keep up with the heavy drinkers and never compromise your lucidity for anyone if your aren't comfortable with it.. Remember to always drink plenty of water or a beverage with electrolytes after alcohol to remain hydrated and on top of your game.